Skip to content

Fremont, Calif. Mandarin immersion program doing well

January 29, 2011

Azevada Elementary says ‘ni hao’

By Miriam G. Mazliach
Photos By Miriam G. Mazliach

As Azevada kindergarten teacher Orchid Wang enters the classroom, she instructs her students in Mandarin to find a spot and sit down on the large rug at the front of the room. The classroom is quiet and lights are dimmed as she leads the young students in a brief yoga exercise before beginning regular class work. Wang says that breathing exercises help young students visualize learning concepts in their minds.

Throughout the day, 90 percent of the instruction is in Mandarin; the other 10 percent in English. All required California educational standards are met except, of course, since this a language immersion class, it’s done in Mandarin.

In this global economy, people recognize that effective communication with others from around the world is not only a way to understand different cultures, but also a smart thing to do. As a natural extension, bilingualism is encouraged within schools. So this past fall, a pilot program for the new Chinese (Mandarin) Dual Immersion program began with one kindergarten class at Azevada Elementary School in Fremont. Its popularity has enabled an anticipated expansion to two kindergarten and two first grade classes for the 2011-2012 school year.

The Chinese Immersion Program marks the culmination of over two years of effort of district staff, community groups, and parents. Wei-Lin Tong, head of the Chinese Immersion Parents’ Council of Fremont, says, “My father, Professor Ling-chi Wang, and I first approached the District about three years ago. At the time, we were not able to gain much traction in moving forward despite my father’s prior successes in starting other Bay Area Chinese immersion programs.”

However, Tong began to see a change in Fall 2009. With increasing support from Fremont Unified School District (FUSD) staff, parent and community groups, and FUSD’s Department of Federal and State Projects headed by Juan Espinosa, Azevada Elementary School was chosen as the sponsoring site. In May 2010, the School Board listened to a detailed presentation of the program, and at its June 15 meeting, approved the Chinese Dual Immersion Program which began in September with one kindergarten class of 27 students.

Parents and community efforts managed to raise startup costs; no money was spent from the District’s General Fund. In future years, additional funding sources are anticipated through Title III (Immigrant Students), EIA (Education Improvement Act) or grants.

The immersion approach is an effective and proven method of providing children with a well-rounded, academically enriching education and full mastery of both English as well as the new language. By all accounts, Azevada’s immersion program and students are progressing amazingly well. Over time, 5th grade level classes will be taught 50 percent of the time in English and 50 percent in Mandarin. A successful immersion program depends on parents willing to commit to a seven-year cycle through elementary school (K-6).

read more here.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: